Ladies’ Fingers (daktyla)
Sweets and desserts have always been an important and distinctive part of the Cypriots’ menu. A favorite and a traditional sweet in Cyprus is Daktyla, Ladies´Fingers filled with ground almonds and cinnamon sugar.
8 cups flour
1 cup oil
2 1/2 cups water (approximately)
400g finely chopped almonds
1 tsp cinnamon
1-2 tbs sugar
3-4 tbs citrus blossom water
4 cups sugar
3 cups water
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 cinnamon stick
1-2 tsps citrus blossom water
oil for deep frying
– Sift the flour and rub in the oil.
– Add the salt and water and knead to a firm dough.
– Cover and stand for 1/2 – 1 hour.
– Roll out the dough into a thin sheet and cut into 8X12 cm rectangles.
– Mix well all the ingredients for the filling.
– Put a teaspoon of filling at the edge of the rectangle and roll into a sausage shape.
– Press the two ends with a fork to seal.
– Fry in hot oil until golden brown and then drain on absorbent paper.
– Dip in cold syrup for a few seconds, drain and transfer to a plate.
– Combine all the ingredients, except the citrus blossom water, in a saucepan.
– Stir until sugar is dissolved and boil for 5 minutes.
– Add the citrus blossom water just before removing from heat. Allow to boil.
Categories: Chef's Choice