The Foreign Residents in the TRNC (TFR)
Review of the Year 2014
by Ralph Kratzer
The year 2014 is now drawing to its close and I want – like last year – to give you a brief recap of the activities of the TFR.
I only mention the most important events of the year and you will find the corresponding pictures in a slideshow on the TFR-website (you can navigate to it by clicking here). Unfortunately we not only had happy events this year, we also had to mourn the death of two of our members.
I’ll start at the beginning of the year, all of the mentioned activities and events you can track on the TFR-website by clicking the category “TFR Topics” at the top of the home page and then read the individual posts (of course for the older posts you have to scroll down…! or use the “Search” facility).
- January: Funeral of the former TFR-Chairman Brian Self
- March: First Anniversary of the TFR Bowling “Cup of the Nations”
- April: Coffee Morning in Karaman in aid of the Cemetery Chapel Restoration
- April: Flat-Green Bowls at the Olive Press restaurant in Lapta
- April: Funeral of our friend David Halstead
- April: The great Easter Picnic in Pinarbasi
- May: Trip to the “Mavi Kösk” (Blue Mansion) and the Maronite village of Korucam
- May: Invitation to the Norwegian National Day
- May: Visit of the “Project of the Century” (waterpipeline from Turkey to North Cyprus under construction)
- August: Returning to the “hidden village” Akincilar – a look back at the past of the island
- August: Commemoration Day at Erenköy
- September: Authentic Bavarian Oktoberfest at the Acmenya restaurant in Alsancak
- October: The 17th Annual General Meeting (AGM) at the Silver Rocks restaurant in Lapta
- December: Christmas Dinner 2014 at the Merit Royal Premium hotel in Alsancak
- December: “Glögg” mulled wine from Santa Claus at the Acmenya restaurant in Alsancak
- Not to forget our well attended weekly “Stammtisch” get-together at the Sea Point restaurant in Lapta (during summer) and the Acmenya restaurant (during winter) and our monthly bowling event “Cup of the Nations”
Again it was a successful year for the TFR-association, not least because there aren´t a lot of clubs in Northern Cyprus for foreign residents that offer so many occasions for their members to come together, get information and enjoy the company of like-minded people!
In this sense, may you all have a Happy New Year!
The TFR Secretary on behalf of the Committee