The Foreign Residents in the TRNC – TFR
Bavarian Recipes –
Gazpacho with buttermilk and horseradish
by Ralph Kratzer
- 400 grams of cucumber
- 40 millilitres cream
- ½ bunch of borage
- 2½ teaspoons freshly grated horseradish
- 400 millilitres buttermilk (over here you can use Ayran)
- ½ bunch of early summer herbs for garnish
- 40 grams of cherry tomatoes
- 2 stalks of celery
- 60 grams of baguette or ciabatta (or over here white bread or even toast bread)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 20 grams butter
- salt, pepper, cayenne pepper
1. Peel the cucumber, cut in half lengthwise and remove seeds, chop coarsely and simmer 10 minutes covered with the cream. Wash borage, remove thick stems, cut the leaves small and add to the cucumbers, cook together shortly (1 – 2 minutes). Puree cucumber and borage together with horseradish and buttermilk finely, season with salt and pepper and refrigerate.
2. Wash herbs, spin dry and pluck. Also wash cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters. Wash celery sticks and cut in half lengthwise.
3. Cut white bread into cubes, lightly crush unpeeled clove of garlic with the side of a large knife, heat in a large pan with butter, fry the croutons on both sides until they become brown.
4. Distribute Bavarian Gazpacho in glasses, garnish with cherry tomatoes, herbs and celery. Sprinkle with cayenne pepper and serve with croutons and cocktail straws.
This goes well with grilled jumbo prawns or fried fish fillet.
Categories: Chef's Choice