The new Rotary Club of Kyrenia Cosmopolitan have issued their newsletter for the first 6 months of 2017 and the members have been very busy with their various projects. We are showing below some of the wonderful achievements by this new Rotary Club and their complete newsletter can be viewed by clicking here. (This is a large document and may take a little while to download).
In July, the founding President of the club, Malcolm Mitcheson, handed over the reins to Gultach Ozsan who is now the new current President.
Rotary Club of Kyrenia Cosmopolitan are also pleased to announce that the final total from the Auction and Pub Day at Jessic’s Bar in Karsiyaka in July is 12,153TL – 100% of which goes to projects at Yesilyurt Special Needs School – a big thank you to everyone who helped achieve this fantastic amount.
Our first 6 months:
In our first 6 months as a Chartered Rotary Club we have:
- Donated numerous essential food items to the Vakif Lefkosa Food Bank collected from member contributions at Club Meeting
- Held a 1TL raffle at each meeting with the proceeds ring fenced for re-planting forest areas in Camlibel in December 2017. To June 30, enough has been collected to replant 228 trees.
- Donated 1000 USD to Cyprus Friendship Program, helping build friendships between Turkish Cypriot and Greek Cypriot teenagers.
- Pledged to support the Cyprus Rotary Children’s Diagnostic Cancer Unit Global Grant Application
- Donated three wheelchairs to the North Cyprus Orthopaedic Disability Foundation, and collected many thousand more bottle-tops towards this project.
- Held a fundraising event for Polio Plus, contributing the equivalent to 1400 vaccinations.
- Established a strong social media presence, with a concentration on raising the profile of our Rotary club both nationally and internationally.
- Had two delegates attend the District Conference in Dubai
- Surpassed expectations for voluntary Rotary Foundation Contributions
- Developed strong community links to help with our goals
- Established Club training, and project planning capabilities
- Established plans for strong fund-raising capacity in 2017-18
- Established best practice for Club Administration and Finance
- New Rotarians taking leadership roles
- Refined our Club Vision and Mission
Crowds of bargain hunters joined us at Jessic’s Bar in Karsiyaka in January 2017 for a great day of Auction, Raffle, BBQ, and live music by the very talented Peter Dawson. An incredible 8,251TL was raised for our Charity Account.
Our thanks to Mus and his team at Jessic’s, and to the brilliant volunteers who achieved such a great result.
International Students Day
Congratulations to Rotarian Imren and her team for organizing such a vibrant celebration of the cultural diversity amongst the tertiary student population of North Cyprus. With great support from sponsors Near East University and the University of Kyrenia, on Friday May 5th 2017 Kyrenia Town Centre was alive with music and dance from so many different nationalities.
Blitz the Beach
We’ve held two ‘Blitz the Beach’ Community Service days in the last 6 months, and enjoyed a fun day of fellowship as well as trying to clear up the coastline.
Brunch for Polio
We raised over 1000TL which will be trebled by the ‘Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation’, translating in real terms to over 1400 doses of the polio vaccine.
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT