March 26, 2023

We are sharing for readers who are seeking the latest facts and information with the approval of the BRS, news recently provided by the British Residents’ Society to their members.


Previously in order to ‘extend’ a tourist visa you were required to attend the Ministry of the Interior and request an extension.  However, this has now been changed so that persons with a valid reason to extend their visas can visit their local ‘District’ Police stations (usually those which process Residency applications) and request an extension.

Currently the visa denominations as per the regulations should be

  • Tourist visa – 30 days
  • Staying with family – 60 days or
  • Property owner or Renter – 90 days.

We are aware that for some reason when entering the TRNC, as a tourist/swallow people are only being given a 30-day visa where most travellers own or rent property here and should receive a 90-day period, as per the regulations.

\If you are staying with family and require a 60-day visa it is advisable that when you attend the Police Station you are in possesion of their details and a letter confirming your visit.

If you are a homeowner/renter you need to take your Passport, your Kocan, or stamped Sales Contract or stamped Rental Agreement with you to the Police Station to show you should have been given a 90-day visa.

REQUEST BUT NEVER DEMAND, as the outcome will be disappointment.

At the moment WHEN ENTERING THE TRNC VIA ERCAN OR THE GREEN LINE you may not get a stamp in your passport indicating the length of your visa so, as a rule –  ASK HOW LONG YOUR VISA IS FOR, as if you have your relevant documentation with you this may save you some time and effort.


Click me for entry!

We continue to update the information that is on our website from which the BritBOT is driven.  When you use this OR login to the website to check information you will see a notation on the right of each section which states when the information was last updated.

This is so far proving to be a very popular option for members to navigate to the popular areas of the website.

Just go to the website. login and click on the BritBOT image to help you find answers to your questions.  Should you need more information then go to the main pages using the Menu.  If you still do not see what you need please click on the ‘Contact Us’ box and if we can see that certain information requires more detail we will update it.

Editor’s Note:  BRS have an excellent members’ Facebook page which gives information and allows members to ask questions however Facebook is excellent for sharing of information but it is no more than a stream of information and BRS found many questions were being asked time and time again so the BRS team developed BRITBOT on their website where members could retrieve information published on many past subjects.

Readers wishing to learn more of the British Residents’ Society or registration as a member which can be started online please visit their website – or

Translate » to your language
%d bloggers like this: