Tatlısu caught by sucker punch!

By Richard Beale …….

After a late equaliser by defender Hakan, Tatlısu paid the price for some sloppy defending when Akay Yeğen caught them cold to give bottom club Civisil their first win of the season with an 88th minute winner.


Sunday June 2 : BTM League 2, Group 5 : Iskele Cumhuriyet Stadium.

After being bored rigid with the Champions League Final, (except for the streaker!), I fancied a local football fix. I chose to go to İskele to watch a bottom of the table clash between Civisil and Tatlısu. Civisil were bottom on 0 points, after losing all 5 of their matches this season. Tatlısu were bottom but one, on 3 points, their only win indecently was on the opening day of the season against Civisil!  I was rewarded with a very entertaining game, on a hot humid evening, what do they say about “Mad dogs and Englishmen? The dog in question was sensible seeking shade under the stand, it was the mad Englishman who was left standing in the full sun, sweating and plagued by tiny flies, taking photographs of the match.

Sensible Stadium dog in the shade, Mad Englishman was under the hot sun!

A very even opening 20 minutes with both defences employing the offside trap, play was mainly contained in midfield as both teams struggled to come to terms with the hot conditions and high bounce of the ball.

Tatlısu should have taken the lead in the 29th minute when Ramazan sprang the offside trap putting through leading goalscorer Göksel Soyer.  The striker did the hard job by rounding goalkeeper Ahmet, but with an open goal at his mercy he inexplicably shot wide.

However GÖKSEL made amends in the 38th minute, again being put through this time he beat Ahmet with a low shot as the goalkeeper came out. HALF TIME SCORE: 0-1

Tatlısu just about deserved their narrow lead, Orhan and Cem in their midfield were working hard.

For Civisil 16 year old Onur Gündoğan continues to impress me, showing some good touches on the right wing, and showing some fight for a slightly built youngster.

Match action Tatlisu are in the white

In the second half the game turned on its head, with Tatlısu conceding a penalty in the 47th minute, when a shot from outside the box struck defender Yusuf as he jumped to block the shot. The lanky ERDEM EROL sent Sinan the wrong way with his penalty. 1-1

It was all Civisil as Tatlısu tired in midfield, their goalkeeper Sinan was coming under more and more pressure making two brilliant saves to keep the visitors on level terms.

They eventually cracked in the 72nd minute when the unfortunate Yusuf gave away his second penalty bringing down substitute Samet just inside the box. This time ERDEM EROL put his penalty to Sinan’s right, the goalkeeper managed to get his fingertips to the ball but could not prevent the ball going into the net. 2-1

ERDEM EROL’s two penalties, two goals!

With time running out Tatlısu roused themselves and equalised in the 83rd minute when after receiving a short free kick HAKAN ÖZDEMİR let fly from just outside the box with a cracking shot which gave the Civisil goalkeeper Ahmet no chance. 2-2

But Tatlisu paid the penalty, two minutes from time being caught cold by a breakaway, their defence split, AKAY YEĞEN sprinted clear and finished clinically as Sinan came out to him, FULL TIME SCORE: 3-2.

There were wild celebrations from the Civisil players celebrating at last their first win of the season. They are still bottom, but only on goal difference now, for Tatlısu their poor run continues now 5 successive defeats.

CIVISIL “Man of the Match” : HASAN KARATAŞ, never stopped running in attack was always a threat.

TATLISU “Man of the Match” : HAKAN ÖZDEMİR : Capped a steady performance in defence with a cracking goal.