By Peri Sualp….
This year the unusual cold weather has continued for longer than we are used to. Spring and warm days usually start in mid March in North Cyprus but this year it has dragged on until now. Mid April and Spring has finally arrived and we can literally feel it in the air! However be careful as allergies aren’t far behind…
Even though spring is the most popular season of all, it can be devastating for some people. Yes, nature is reborn, hibernating animals awaken refreshed and ready to continue their lives. All the plants and trees come into blossom and flowers bloom. Nature becomes an extraordinary sight and you can’t get enough of the view.
The look of acacia trees all around North Cyprus are especially to die for… But along with these beauties there is a threat lurking among the amazing green and colourful flowers and acacias: POLLEN!
How innocent it may seem, helping plants to reproduce and being an ingredient for bees to make honey, but it can also trigger allergies for some unfortunate people and turn beautiful spring days into a nightmare full of misery. Pollen flying around means sneezing, congestion, runny nose, watery eyes, itching and other bothersome symptoms for some of us. Some cases are minor but some can be really fatal.
Sometimes taking only antihistamine medicine is not enough by itself so here are few tips you might find useful:
- You can start with spring cleaning the house to get rid of the mould, dust and pet dander (assuming you have one) that has gathered after a long winter.
- Don’t forget to clean the air filters of your air conditioners as often as you can
- Keep your doors and windows closed as much as possible to keep allergens out
- Try to stay indoors whenever the pollen count is very high
- If you do have to go out check the pollen count for wherever you are going beforehand – you can use weather application pollen trackers for this
- Wash your hair after going outside because allergens can collect there or wear a hat or cover your hair with a turban.
- And never forget to have your medication with you.
I am glad that I don’t have any spring related allergies but I have something else – atopic dermatitis. This means that I have to be very careful with my skin all through my life and stay away from house mites. Some people like me, have all year round allergies such as coeliac, cow’s milk, eggs, fish, latex etc. Some conditions can even be life threatening such as allergies to foods such as peanuts. Even though spring allergies are not something to be desired, at least it is only a temporary situation. Therefore we should always look at the brighter side of things!
Wishing everyone a wonderful Spring away from allergies!