No Wheels On My Wagon as Esentepe hit by “Yanki” Storm


By Richard Beale ……

As the song goes “no wheels on my wagon and I’m not rolling along, the Cherokees have surrounded me, things look bad, but I’m still singing a happy song”.

I am certainly not singing a happy song, substitute “wagon” for Esentepe promotion hopes and substitute “Cherokees” for rivals. The Yankees did not come to rescue Esentepe, they were instead put  to the sword with a hat trick from striker Yankı Aktül. Esentepe are motionless our rivals are circling, there may be even be a couple of vultures waiting to pick the bare bones!.


Wednesday 18 April 2018 : K-Pet League 1 : Girne 20 Temmuz Mete Adanir Stadi.


In this rearranged match played under floodlights, Esentepe again suffered a night of disappointment and frustration. Out-played for most of the match, they were reduced to 10 men after 48 minutes, suffered further injuries and for the last 10 minutes striker Eser was just a limping passenger as it definitely wasn’t a “night to remember”. To cap it all I “overexposed” myself, my camera that is, and lost most of my photos!

On a balmy, sultry night the Mete Adanır Stadium was looking its best and for this important match maybe there were around 300-350 spectators, the majority from Esentepe.

You could tell it was going to be one of those nights, when Girne Halk Evi (GHE) almost scored with their first attack after only 2 minutes. Yankı put a ball in finding leading goalscorer Şenol, as Esentepe goalkeeper Kemal came out, the strikers shot hit the post and rebounded to safety.

Esentepe had their best 15 minutes of the match, when they created 3 reasonable chances. Firstly a defensive mistake allowed Eser to get in a shot which was beaten away by goalkeeper Athos. Then from a Muhammed free kick Başak shot wide from a good position. In the 30th minute from an Ismail Aslan free kick Eser got in a header that went just over the bar..

But Esentepe fell to a sucker punch in the last minute of the first half, Ibrahim led a quick breakaway down the left, his cross was poorly dealt with by Onur who miss kicked his clearance straight to YANKI AKTÜL who slotted home. HALF TIME SCORE : 1-0.

Esentepe chances of getting back into the game were greatly reduced when they lost teenage defender Onur who was red carded in the 48th minute. Following a bouncing ball Onur was going to belt the ball away, however he completely miss timed his attempted clearance and instead connected with Yankı instead who was poleaxed. Referee Hasan produced the red card, and despite Esentepe protests, Onur was dismissed I thought it was bit harsh, there was no intent in it, he just completely miss timed his clearance and probably it was his first foul of the match.

Esentepe were now facing an uphill task as GHE looked dangerous every time they attacked, it was only poor finishing that kept the visitors in the match.

Esentepe injury worries continued when Burak on as a replacement for Hüseyin in the 54th  minute, lasted 9 minutes with a re-occurrence of an old injury and was replaced by Emre.

68 minutes it was 2-0, Deniz crossed from the right to the far post where YANKI unmarked had plenty of time to score. 2-0.

Esentepe Coach Davut Kansu gave a first ever first team appearance to 18 year old defender Ali Soytürk in the 71st minute.

Esentepe Eser was limping heaviily and could only offer assistance as a passenger on the wing. In injury time YANKI completed his hat trick when Ismail Aslan lost possession to him and with what looked a tame innocuous shot from just outside the box, which somehow squirmed underneath the body of goalkeeper Kemal. He was very distraught about his error, but he has no need to be, he has saved us countless times. It was his first mistake of the season, it just sums up a dreadful night. FULL TIME SCORE : 3-0

GHE YANKI AKTÜL celebrating, distressed Yakup for Esentepe and the final score

SUMMING UP : We were very lucky that GHE had left their shooting boots at home as it could have easily been 5 or 6 nil. Winger Ibrahim tormented Esentepe all night, GHE are a very experienced outfit who are now making a late run for the automatic promotion.

Esentepe still have a 5 point advantage with 3 matches left to play. These matches are all against teams battling for relegation survival, there ain’t no easy matches in this League.

Once again Esentepe’s small squad was cruelly exposed, and again after this match we suffered another suspension and more injuries.

Somehow Coach Davut must rally his beleaguered troops in these remaining games, confidence is at an all time low. Esentepe are under siege but just one more win and a draw will get us to the Super League.

Next Esentepe match.
Sunday April 22
Away to Bostanci Bağcıl
KO 4-00PM at Bostancı Bağcıl Stadı.

Video highlights of the GIRNE HALK EVI SK v ESENTEPE KKSK match by Graham Procter-Brown

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.