Leaders to resume negotiations today after two month hiatus
Today the new term starts in the Cyprus negotiation process, which had been stalled by the enosis decision in February.
President Mustafa Akıncı and the Greek Cypriot Leader Nikos Anastasiades will meet in the buffer zone at 10:00am local time.
The last meeting of President Mustafa Akıncı and the Greek Cypriot Leader Nikos Anastasiades was on 9 February before the process was derailed on February 10, due to the decision of the Greek Cypriot Parliament to commemorate the Enosis plebiscite in schools.
The leaders met on February 16th to discuss the emerging picture and the negotiations were stalled when the Turkish Cypriot side expressed their concerns about the vote taken and demanded the withdrawal of the decision.
The approval of the draft law by the Greek Cypriot Parliament to transfer the authority to decide whether to commemorate the “Enosis” referendum at schools to the Greek Cypriot Minister of Education last Friday, which effectively nullifies the previous decision, paved the way for the resumption of negotiations.
President Mustafa Akıncı meets with political party representatives
President Mustafa Akıncı met with the leaders of the main political parties in the TRNC Assembly to update them about the new negotiation process yesterday.
The meeting lasted about an hour and a half, after which the party leaders responded to questions from the media.
In his statement to the press, UBP General Secretary Dursun Oğuz said that they are looking forward to a constructive approach from the Greek Cypriot side.
Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Serdar Denktaş said that they evaluated the latest developments with President Akıncı, and noted that Akıncı made clear beforehand that the negotiations will continue for some time. Denktaş added, however, that, “We do not agree with his statement that “The Enosis Plebiscite Decision was withdrawn by the Greek Cypriot Parliament, and this should be welcomed”.
Denktaş continued, “It is very clear that the Greek Cypriot side sees us as a minority. It is impossible to reach an agreement with such a mentality”.
Eide expresses support for ‘optimal’ restart to the negotiations
President Mustafa Akıncı held an hour-long meeting yesterday with the UN Secretary General’s Special Adviser to Cyprus, Espen Barth Eide.
Eide, who made a statement to the press following the meeting, stated that they aimed to resume the negotiations in the best way possible, bringing areas of disagreement to the agenda and supporting reconciliation between the leaders in the coming weeks.
While he reiterated that he and his team were trying their utmost to support the talks, Eide said that the process would be carried out by the leaders, dismissing rumours that he would arbitrate in the negotiations.
He said that neither the two leaders nor the UN want arbitration as a means to moving the talks forward, and that the leaders will decide how the UN can help support the eve of the resumption of talks, which had previously stalled.
Eide said the two sides had lost a lot of time and trust, and that while he believes the leaders can rebuild their relationship, people in the two communities had begun to express their concerns over the credibility of the process.
Committee on Missing Persons signs agreement with International Committee of the Red Cross and the Argentine Forensic Anthropology Team
The Committee on Missing Persons has signed two agreements to provide training to experts including forensic scientists and decision makers from around the world who also face the challenge of missing people due to armed conflicts and different events in their own countries.
The Committee on Missing Persons has signed a cooperation agreement with the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) and the Argentine Forensic Anthropology Team (Equipo Argentino de Antropología Forense, EAAF).
The collaboration with the Red Cross has started by establishing a Committee. This agreement will be a good template for countries which undertake studies for searching for missing persons.
“Ancient times and Terracotta Figurines” exhibition opened at St Barnabas Icon and Archaeology Museum
An exhibition entitled “Ancient times and Terracotta Figurines” has been opened at St. Barnabas Icon and Archaeology Museum, under the auspices of the Ministry for Tourism and the Environment.
2,700 year old ceramic sculptures, which are under the protection of the Ministry, are being exhibited at the exhibition.
Source: TRNC Public Information Office –
To read more news and information from the TRNC Ministry of Foreign Affairs, please click here
Pictures shown are courtesy of the TRNC Public Information Office Facebook page.