Animal care

TRNC – Advice For Dog Owners And What To Do If You Suspect Poisoning

TRNC – Advice For Dog Owners

And What To Do If You Suspect Poisoning


Following the report  we published  from  the Roots Ramblers of a case of dog poisoning and the discovery of large quantities of poisoned bait in a tourist area, many readers have been asking for advice and we are offering the following without liability and you can read more on the subject of poisoning on by clicking here

Roots Bar and Roots Ramblers together with assume no liability for the content of this page. This advice is not a substitute for a proper consultation with a vet and is only intended as a guide. Please contact your local veterinary practice for advice or treatment. They will advise you of the threats that may be peculiar to North Cyprus.



Keep your animal away from ‘edible things’ in places where they don’t belong. They can be packed in plastic bags, bowls with food or liquids, remnants of food, meatballs etc. Remove and discard such suspicious items when you happen to see them. Poisoned baits are often put at places where animal lovers leave food for the strays. Beware of (coloured) powdery substances! Keep an eye on the behaviour of any strangers around your property, especially when they are annoyed with your barking dogs. Record the number plates of suspicious cars and the date and place you saw them. Have a camera at hand to collect evidence.


First of all discuss the content and use of a first aid kit with your veterinarian as emetics and antidotes differ per country. Ask your vet to tell you the symptoms of poisoning by herbicides and pesticides like strychnine, arsenic, paraquat etc. He knows which poisons are used locally, he can explain the symptoms and he can advise on the treatment. Knowing the symptoms is essential as antidotes can be harmful if an animal is not poisoned! Most vets appreciate the fact that first aid by the owner of a poisoned animal is crucial for its survival. Ask yourAnimal First aid vet to show you how to administer emetics or activated carbon solutions orally and how to handle a syringe in such a case of emergency. Preparation is the first step!


Carry with you at all times a first aid kit containing emetics (ampules and/or solutions), activated carbon (tablets or solution), a syringe and antidotes, together with the dosage and administration instructions your vet will recommend. Be aware that dogs and cats need different treatment and that oral treatment of a poisoned animal might be impossible when it has convulsions or is unable to swallow.


Warn the veterinarian immediately! When you start first aid let another person phone the veterinarian so he can prepare for the emergency treatment while you are on your way to him.

  1. If possible, try to identify the substance ingested before administering the emetics by:
  2. carefully inspecting the surrounding area
  3. and observing the symptoms of the animal.

WARNING: You should NOT cause an animal to vomit if it has ingested caustic/acid substances or glass, as this would cause further damage of the internal organs! In that case try to administer activated carbon and leave for the vet immediately.

WARNING: If the animal has convulsions do NOT administer anything orally (through the mouth). With swallowing always be very careful in order to avoid aspiration into the lungs.

Please see your vet for further advice about snake bites and other substances, foods and plants that can harm your pets, specifically in North Cyprus.

2 replies »

    • They will be locked up Julie if they can be identified so its up to our readers in Northern Cyprus to be vigilant and bring proof to the authorities.