21 Facts About The Human Body
By Ralph Kratzer
Hello reader, I hope you don’t mind me saying, but you have an amazing body!
That’s not a clumsy compliment, I really mean your body is a marvel of nature. It’s something we take for granted everyday, but the human body is a remarkably complex machine. It’s capable of things that are absolutely astonishing. Here are 21 facts about the human body.
3. An average person produces more than 23,000 litres of saliva in a lifetime; that’s enough to fill up a swimming pool!
4. The human nose can accurately remember close to 50,000 different smells.
6. The entire blood of a human circulates every day 1440 times through the body.
7. The human eye is so sensitive to light that, if the Earth was flat, we could see a candle from almost 30 miles away!
8. We’re all actually super strong, our brain just limits the output our muscles provide to protect them from harming themselves. During an adrenaline rush, however, these limits are removed. This is what makes people capable of unbelievable physical feats, when they are in danger of life.
10. The human eye is an extremely sophisticated optical device. It can can distinguish about 10 million different colours, and is capable of processing more information than any telescope could.
12. Our bodies are bioluminescent, that means, they glow slightly in the dark. Unfortunately, the light emitted is far too weak to be detected by human eyes.
13. As a baby, you had 60 more bones than you have as an adult.
16. Our brains produce enough electrical current to power a light bulb. Is this why having a great idea in cartoons is shown as a light bulb?
18. The strongest muscle in the human body is the masseter, a muscle that works the jaw.
19. If it were a computer, the human brain could perform 38 thousand-trillion operations per second! The world’s most powerful supercomputer, BlueGene, can only do about .002% of that.
21. Our brains are capable of reading up to 1,000 words per minute! Of course not everyone’s brain…!!!