Frustrated Esentepe see Red!

By Richard Beale ……

Esentepe saw red when they had their Captain Vurkan sent off in the 54th minute, they saw red again when from the resultant free kick Girne Halk Evi equalised. They saw red when GHE took the lead 5 minutes later and again saw red when they had two appeals for hand ball (one blatant ) turned down. Finally that red grew into frustration and anger as after the final whistle, players, spectators and the Police were involved in unsavoury scenes on the pitch.


Saturday October 12, 2019: K-Pet League 1 : Girne 20 Temmuz Mete Adanir Stadium.

The 20 Temmuz Stadium is not a happy hunting ground for Esentepe, their last visit ended in tears and anger as they lost a relegation play off match against Binatlı and were banished to League 1. After the match there was trouble as the Officials were chased to the changing rooms.

Although after Saturday’s match the officials were not chased, there was again trouble as on a scorching October afternoon tempers boiled over. Sad scenes after the match as players and spectators jostled each other, eventually the Police restored order and calm.

It was a shame that the match ended this way as it was played on the whole in good spirits and was very entertaining.

Referee Mehmet Sezener had control of the game and correctly sent Esentepe Captain Vurkan off in the 54th minute. After that his actions seemed to become more and more bizarre especially on 50/50 decisions as Esentepe frustrations were becoming more and more apparent. This was compounded when in injury time they had a blatant handball decision turned down and this led to further yellow cards being furnished and a good match ended in fury.

Esentepe missing players through injury and suspension, fielded a young looking line up resulting in rare appearances for squad players Mustafa Günlü and Emre Mutlu. Emre was played at an unaccustomed right full back with Mahmut being pushed forward on the right side of midfield.

The new formation took time to settle and it was GHE who dominated the opening exchanges.


14 mins : GHE took the lead following a long throw in from the right by Ulaş that was flicked on at the near post to the far post where CEMAL YAŞİNES swept the ball home. 1-0.

25 mins : Against the run of play Esentepe equalised and scored a good equalising goal following a free kick, Kaan in space in the middle found MAHMUT on the right despite being crowded finished with an explosive shot. 1-1

35 mins : Esentepe had now settled down and took the lead following another good move started by Furkan finding Kaan who played the ball up field to Eray. Esentepe lone striker held the ball up well before passing back to KAAN GÖRNEÇLİ. The midfielder beat Athos with a fine shot from outside the area. 1-2

36 mins : Immediately GHE retaliated with Bekİr bringing a good diving save from Onur and in the next attack Ali Akbulut shot into the side netting.

Esentepe scored from both their chances they created where GHE were guilty of wasteful finishing. HALF TIME SCORE 1-2

Seeing Red Esentepe’s Vurkan on the stretcher is sent off and right seeing yellow Mr Sezener keeps dishing the cards out.

In the space of 10 minutes Esentepe’s slender lead would be wiped out and they were then down to 10 men, suffering a “double whammy”

54 mins : Esentepe Captain Vurkan put in a heavy challenge on Muhammed Ali Uçar, after being booked in the first half for a similar tackle it left the referee with no option but to send off the Esentepe player.

55 mins : From the resultant free kick taken by Saydam, Esentepe were further punished as goalkeeper Onur maybe unsighted because of the sun, came for the ball got blocked and MUSTAFA ÇİCEKLİ stole in and sent in a downward header into the net. 2-2

62 mins : GHE took the lead following another mistake from Esentepe goalkeeper Onur. Following a long free kick from Saydam, Onur came for the ball, hesitated and was caught in “no mans land” as Bekir hooked the ball goal wards. Esentepe defender Tuğrulsan did well to hook the ball off the line, only to see it fall to YİGİTCAN AYAZ following up to score. 3-2

I feared the worse for Esentepe, but credit to the 10 men, they rolled their sleeves up and despite the heat they gamely took the game to GHE.

They introduced young team striker 18 year old Ege Can Açıkportalı and he was soon in the affray.

90 + mins : Esentepe continued to press and had two “handball ” penalty appeals turned down. one blatant as a Samit shot was blocked with an arm, but the referee refused to be swayed much to the annoyance of their players and spectators.

90 + 8 mins : The game finished with 4 players being booked, and then unfortunately frustrations boiled over. FULL TIME SCORE: 3-2

SUMMING UP : Cannot fault the team for the effort they put in, yes they did not get the “run of the green”, but having 2 sending offs in the last 2 matches they are not helping themselves. An already limited squad is being severely tested with some tough matches coming up.

Match video highlights by Graham Procter Brown