December 6, 2023

By Richard Beale …..

At last the season has started with Esentepe recording a comfortable “home” win played at Iskele Cumhuriyet Stadium. I say “home” match, but it was played “away” as the Football Federation has closed the Esentepe Stadium for one match for disciplinary reasons. Esentepe Coach Hüseyin Çağer also has to serve a 2 match ban, so he watched the game from the terraces.


Saturday September 14, 2019: K-Pet League 1: İskele Cumhuriyert Stadium.

The weather was hot down on the pitch, but luckily for a good size crowd there was shade and a cooling breeze in the main stand.

Esentepe could and should have won this game by a greater margin having superiority over their Famagusta opponents for most of the match. Some wasted finishing was the only downside of a good hardworking team performance. Though results in pre-season matches have not gone their way, Esentepe in those matches has played their football at a high tempo and have introduced an intricate passing game. All this was evident in this match as Esentepe controlled the midfield, they were solid at the back, boosted by the return of ex-favourite Nersin Osman, who marshalled the defence.

Çanakkale were disappointing offering nothing to trouble the Esentepe Goalkeeper Onur, apart from a few crosses in the first half which he dealt with comfortably, he was unemployed in the second half, he might as well have got the “barbie” going!

Man of the Match MAHMUT (dark strip) in action for Esentepe.


6 mins: A quick Esentepe break led by teenager Şükrü who cut into the box and saw his shot deflected for a corner by the advancing Çanakkale keeper Umut.

23 mins: Şükrü was causing havoc on the left with his skill and speed, again he cut into the area before squaring the ball across to ERAY ERGIN to sweep home, to record his first League goal for the Club. 1-0

39 mins: Good work on the right wing by Eray beating a couple of players before finding the unmarked Yakup in a good goal scoring position, but the midfielder took an age to control the ball and saw his shot deflected for a corner by Umut.

44 mins: A worry for Esentepe, their Captain Vurkan who was having a fine game limped off with what looked like a hamstring injury. HALF TIME : 1-0.

45 mins : Vurkan was replaced during the break by Hüseyin Ermış.

46 mins: Esentepe should have increased their lead, when they missed a glorious chance. Uğurcan did well to rob Ahmet of the ball before finding Eray with only Umut to beat, but his shot hit the goalkeeper’s legs and trickled just wide of the far post for a corner.

Though Çanakkale were offering little or no threat, another goal would be just reward for Esentepe for all the possession the team had, a second goal did come and teenager Şükrü was involved again.

61 mins: Şükrü weaved his way into the box and was brought down from a challenge from substitute Hasan Aktaş NERSIN OSMAN took the penalty sending Umut the wrong way. 2-0.

It was now a question of how many Esentepe would score, they continued to push men forward it was a surprise that they did not add to their total.

81 mins: A superb move by the team started with Yakup in the centre of midfield finding Uğurcan on the right, who beat the offside trap, side stepped his marker and sped into the box looking certain to score, only to be robbed at the last second by a great tackle from Hasan Aktaş. FULL TIME SCORE: 2-0

SUMMING UP ; A good team performance everybody played their part. Şükrü was a constant thorn in the side on the left, lone striker Eray has the ability to hold the ball up well. Midfield dominated the game with Yakup and Furkan prominent. The defence was solid and my “MAN of the MATCH” goes to right back MAHMUT İZOĞLU. Now doing his National service with the Army his fitness levels have greatly improved, he was constantly joining up with the attack and linked up well with Uğurcan. He was strong in defence especially as he was up against the talented Çanakkale winger Uvanç Recaioğlu.

Translate » to your language