Trevor’s Tips: reply to questions about importing cars or car parts.

We receive many inquiries for information in response to our publications on Cyprusscene and wherever possible we try to get specialist advice as we did with this inquiry


Readers mail…
Ebru Ogun…

Dear Chris

I have your email from CyprusScene.

I wish to send a car from the UK to Northern Cyprus via sea – to be split in half at entry so that it is not used for driving, but the parts to be used for cars involved in an accident or wear and tear etc.

Can you advise how I may go about doing this, what is my first port of call please?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards


Dear Ebru

The authorities here will class this as a complete import vehicle, which means

  1. You must have owned the vehicle for the last 5 years.
  2. Between 40% and 60% of Glasses guide mid range valuation.
  3. You will not be able to break the car up for 2 years.

 The best way forward is to break the car up and import the parts as spares. But the engine must have a VAT receipt to accompany it.

I hope this helps

Kind regards,


Customer Representative



We do a monthly news round which I send out via email and also goes on the CyprusScene website and E-newspaper which is free to you and will keep you up to date on the ever changing things here in the TRNC.

For any further information please email me through the contact box below or at Capital Bank in Alsancak.