North Cyprus Trevor’s Tips for May 2019

By Trevor Hughes……

Flight Grievance

Have you ever experienced travel delay, flight cancellation, or flight inconvenience which was out of your control? If yes, read on.

Every year, thousands of airline passengers are delayed, miss flights, lose their baggage, experience poor service or are hit with hidden fees.

If this happens to you, always complain to the airline first. If they do not respond after eight weeks, or you are unhappy with the outcome, your next step is to find out if the firm is signed up to a dispute resolution service.

The two main voluntary schemes are the Aviation ADR and the Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDR).

Aviation ADR members include Emirates, Flybe, Delta and Virgin Atlantic.

British Airways, Thomas Cook, EasyJet and Tui belong to CEDR’s dispute scheme, along with airports London Heathrow, London Gatwick, London Stansted and Manchester. Only airlines Jet2 and Ryanair are not signed up to either. In this instance, you should contact aviation watchdog the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA).

Complain for free to Aviation ADR online at or write to Aviation ADR, 12 Walker Avenue, Stratford Office Village, Wolverton Mill, Milton Keynes, MK12 5TW. Or call 0203 540 8063.

If your airline is a member of CEDR, visit, write to Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution, 70 Fleet Street, London EC4Y 1EU, or call 020 7536 6099. There is a £25 administration fee if you lose.

CEDR says it does not close a case until any payment it has awarded has been paid.

To contact the aviation regulator, visit, write to Passenger Advice and Complaints Team (PACT), UK Civil Aviation Authority, 45-59 Kingsway, London WC2B 6TE or call 0330 022 1500.

We visited the UK recently and our return flight was delayed by 9 hours. Even before we left the departure lounge, we were contacted, by phone, on how we could claim compensation money for our inconvenience. The company was Air Help who are one of many offering this service. We decided to go with them even though their fee was 200 euros which would come out of our claim. There was no upfront fee, but you need to agree not to contact any other service provider making a claim on our behalf, which we did.

We have heard from them recently and they confirmed our claim will be met within the next 4 weeks making our claim value 600 euro (after the 200-euro deduction) to our benefit, which was more than we paid for our 2 return flights!

Car Servicing

If you require any mechanical attention to your car, Akin Motors are now offering mechanical services from their Karakum Branch.

Their service advisors are experienced professionals who can be relied upon to give sound advice for any aspect of maintenance or repair, and their technicians’ expertise means that all types of cars can be serviced. We have worked with this company for some time now and always found them very accommodating and pay attention to good customer relations, whether it is servicing vehicles or car sales.
You can book your service by calling Erkan on 0533 887 8707

Contract Mobile Phone

Foreign people here cannot get first time applications for mobile phones, in the TRNC. The reason for this isbecause holiday makers visiting the TRNC have successfully applied for a mobile phone on a contract basis and then leaving the Country and not meeting their financial commitment.

Well now you can, through Vodafone located on the main road in Alsancak next to Capital Bank. If you call in to see them, they will give you all the information you need.

This Could Come Our Way?

British holidaymakers may face long airport queues in Greece  as police bring in extra checks on British passports.

From April 7, Hellenic police will be completing additional checks on travellers going to and from areas outside the Schengen zone.

The Foreign Office has warned Brits to arrive at the airport ‘in good time’ – which is usually at least two hours before your flight is set to leave.

The travel advice on the Foreign Office website says: ‘As of 7 April 2019, the Hellenic Police will begin implementing systematic passport control checks for all

European citizens travelling to/from destinations outside the Schengen area (including the UK) in line with a 2017 Schengen Borders Code regulation. 

International Driving Permits [IDP] Save 100s of ££££££s?

With all the chaos surrounding Brexit and whether the authorities over the border will allow you drive on a UK licence is still very much up in the air.

However, Mary and myself visited the UK to ascertain the true and accurate detail in order to make a successful IDP application.

Firstly, you can either go to the UK and gain the driving permit, or you can solicit the services of someone else who is going to the UK and make the application on your behalf.

You will need to find a Post Office which has the authority to complete your application[s] successfully. Note, not all Post office staff are in full possession of the rules governing the process, as we experienced ourselves.

All you need to take, is a copy of your passport and a passport size photograph plus your UK driving licence and ask for an IDP 1949. The fee for a single application is £5.50 for a twelve-month permit, which remains the same for any application made by you for somebody else.

The whole process only takes about 5-10 minutes and is handed over to you upon completion.

At the moment you can apply for a 1949 permit on a yearly basis and no longer, but this may change as time goes by.

We are about to  set up a service to make your application far easier and no need to go to the UK to make the application, or the annual renewal, which will only take two weeks from start to finish. This will save lots of money and lots of time spent flying over to the UK every year to renew the permit.

Watch this space when, or if the UK finally agrees to leave the EU.

Replacing a Lost/stolen TRNC Driving Licence

If you happen to lose or have stolen your TRNC driving licence and you did not take a copy, keeping the original in a safe place at home, there is a procedure to follow in order to get a replacement.

  1. Go to the main police station in Girne.
  2. Report the loss/theft.
  3. Give the officer your details who will arrange a typed report for you.
  4. Hand over postage stamps to the value of 17.5 tl.
  5. Go back to the police station the following Friday for the report.
  6. The replacement licence can only be renewed at the main licencing office Lefkosa with a fee of 175 tl.
  7. Go back to the same office in Lefkosa 3-4 weeks later and collect your new licence.

To obtain the replacement you can of course go to Capital Bank in Alsancak who will do it for you!!

Bayram Holidays

Bayram Holidays for the month of May where banks, Government and local Government offices, schools and some businesses will be closed for the day. This is Labour Day.  On Wednesday 1st May 2019  banks will be closed for the day. 

We do a monthly news round which I send out via email and this also goes on the CyprusScene website and weekly online Enewspaper which is free to you and will keep you up to date on the ever changing things here in the TRNC.

For any further information please email me through the contact box below or at Capital Bank in Alsancak.

[contact-form-7 id=”605543″ title=”Contact form 2″]