Battling Esentepe so unlucky.

By Richard Beale….

The defending Champions and current League Leaders Yenicamı, the “Kartal” of the League with their champagne and fat cigars came a visiting their “country cousin” on Saturday afternoon. As expected they came away with all 3 points but they were given a fright by a battling Esentepe team who once again had “Lady Luck” deserting them.


Saturday February 23 : K-Pet Super League : Esentepe Erdal Barut Stadium.

To lose against the Champions by such a slender margin and that being by courtesy of an “own goal” was no disgrace, Esentepe raised their game, they did not let their heads drop and the League leaders certainly knew they had been in a game.

Esentepe’s wretched luck this season continued when they lost the services of their influential Senegal midfield player Tidiane Sane who after 18 minutes came off worse following an innocuous tackle. Sane was carried off on a stretcher and has been diagnosed with a knee tendon problem which required immediate surgery, his season is over, a severe blow to Esentepe hopes of surviving in this League.

Yenicamı who have been Champions for the past two seasons “oozed class” they are the Manchester City of the League and in Coach Sedat Devecioglu they have one of the most successful managers (Pep Guadialo equivalent}

Their team is made up of seasoned campaigners, with a number of them having represented the TRNC International team. They have talent everywhere from defence to attack, where they have the League’s leading goalscorer JOHN EBUKA OKOYE and his striking partner fellow Nigerian KENNETH NGWOKE, a fearsome duo.

Yet Esentepe competed, yes Yenicamı created the most chances, they even missed a penalty, but while the score was still only 1-0 Esentepe were always in with a chance to salvage a point.

They did not but that is no reflection on them, they gave everything and on another day they may have earned a point.


20 mins : With Sane off getting treatment Esentepe were reduced to 10 men, Tansel hit a deep cross to the far post from the left finding John Okoye whose shot deflected off Goalkeeper Onur onto Esentepe Captain Şahın who in trying to clear only succeeded in deflecting the ball into his own net. 0-1

Yenicamı winner Esentepe Captain Şahın about to divert the ball into his own net

26 mins : Yenicamı should have increased their lead when they missed a golden opportunity through wasteful finishing. Hüseyin crossed from the right finding Kenneth in a great position but he blasted his shot over the bar.

34 mins : Esentepe gave the Champions a fright and should have equalised. Junior started the move finding Kaan on the left he crossed again to Junior who had a shot blocked, then Vurkan had a shot blocked, before Yakup with the goal at his mercy shot wide.

38 mins : Esentepe were putting Yenicamı under some pressure winger Efosa saw his shot saved by the diving Ercan.

41 mins : The leaders immediately responded when John put over a cross that saw their Captain Unal get in a header that hit the Esentepe bar with Onur beaten before the ball was scrambled away. HALF TIME SCORE : 0-1

58 mins : Esentepe were unlucky not to equalise when a long ball from Mahmut saw Junior just get a toe to the ball before the advancing Ercan, the ball looked like it would trickle over the goal line, but Hüseyin running back managed to scoop the ball away.

63 mins : Following an Esentepe corner Yenicamı broke like lightning which incidentally was all around the Stadium! Kenneth outpaced Efosa before cutting inside the area, where he was bodychecked by a clumsy Ahmet challenge. Kenneth penalty was brilliantly saved by Esentepe young goalkeeper Onur diving to his left to push the ball away for a corner.

Esentepe young Goalkeeper ONUR brilliantly saving Kenneth’s penalty kick

74 mins : John outpaced Şahın on the left as Onur came out to him he squared the ball to an unmarked Kenneth who tried to walk the ball into an empty net but somehow Uğurcan got back to clear the ball off the line.

90 mins : Yenicamı were reduced to 10 men when Hascan Kırmaz who had already been booked made a clumsy challenge on Mustafa Günlü leaving the referee no option but to send him off. FULL TIME : 0-1