By Ahmet Abdulaziz…..
The Turkish Cypriot National History Museum is organizing a photography contest with the theme Turkish Cypriot National Struggle. The photographs for the competition can be submitted until 25th January 2019 at the Cyprus Museum of Modern Arts.
The Selection Committee of the photography contest, which will be held in two different categories, consists of the following members:
Professor Ali Efdal Özkul, the Founding President of the Board of Directors of the Turkish Cypriot National History Museum, Hikmet Uluçam, Photograph Artist and Graphic Designer, Mehmet Gökyiğit, Chairman of FODER (Turkish Cypriot Photography Association), Gazi Yüksel, Photograph Artist, and Musa Kayra, Illustrator and Photograph Artist.
The first category of the Turkish Cypriot National Struggle Photo Contest will feature photographs taken during the years of the national struggle of Turkish Cypriots for freedom and existence. The authenticated copies of the photographs will be displayed and the original ones will be secured by the owners. If those, who had taken the photographs, or owners are not alive, their relatives will be able to participate in the contest with those photographs by authenticating the degree of their relationships. The original photographs can be donated to the Turkish Cypriot National History Museum if deemed appropriate by their owners. The names of the persons, who donate the photographs, will be indicated while the photographs are being exhibited.
Photographs to be taken at the places, where the Turkish Cypriot National Struggle took place, will be in the competition …
The second category of the Turkish National Struggle Photography Contest will feature photos to be taken at places specific to the National Struggle of Turkish Cypriots for existence and freedom. These photographs are required to be relevant to old military positions, trenches, historical places, streets, tools and equipment and documents that were used during the years of national struggle.
Turkish Cypriot National Struggle Photo Contest requirements:
- The contestants can participate in both categories of the contest with as many photos as they desire.
- The contestants are required to indicate the places of the photographs taken for the second category of the contest.
- If known, the places and the names of persons in the old photographs presented to the contest shall be indicated.
- The photographs to be presented to the contest are required to be A4 (21×29. 7) cm in size minimally, or 35×50 cm in size greatest.
- The old photographs presented for the contest shall not be manipulated in digital environment but if necessary, the required operations on photographs shall be carried out by experts.
- The credentials and telephone numbers of the participants will be sealed tender.
- A five digit nickname shall be written on the back of the photographs.
- Participants are required to submit a separate envelope for each category of the contest if they participate in both categories.
- Photographs presented for the contest will be evaluated by the Selection Committee consisting of 5 members.
- The second category of the contest will be a prize competition. The holders of the photographs exhibited but not eligible for award, will be presented with a participation certification.
- The participants, who will contest in the old photographs category (first category), will be presented with a Certificate of Honour provided that their photographs are being accepted by the Turkish Cypriot National History Museum.
- Participants are required to deliver the photographs by hand to the Cyprus Museum of Modern Arts until 25.01.2019 at the latest.
The photographs presented for the contest will be assessed by the Selection Committee of 5 members to be determined by the Board of Directors of the Turkish Cypriot National History Museum. The first-placed photograph will be awarded with 3000TL, the second-placed one will be awarded with 2000TL and the third-placed one will be awarded with 1000TL. The Selection Committee will also determine three contestants for honorable mention awards.
Photographs considered eligible to be exhibited at the contest will be displayed at the Cyprus Arts Center, which is located at Atatürk Culture and Congress Center (AKKM) and affiliated to the Cyprus Museum of Modern Arts, on Thursday 21 February, 2019.
Contact for participation in the contest and further information…
Those willing to participate in Turkish Cypriot National Struggle Contest can contact Professor Ali Efdal Özkul, the Founding President of the Board of Directors of National History Museum, and Cyprus Museum of Modern Arts by calling 0392 680 2000 (extension: 5251) and 0392 680 2000 (extension 5656) or through email addresses email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org