North Cyprus Football : Last gasp equaliser denies Tatlisu a win


By Richard Beale…………

A 95th minute equaliser by Umut denied Tatlısu the chance of recording their first win of the season. This was a meeting of the bottom two Clubs a “6 pointer” which Tatlısu must win if they would stand any chance of avoiding the drop to the BTM League 2. So near and yet so far.


Sunday April 1st : BTM League Red Group : Tatlısu Raif Rauf Denktaş Stadı.

The match played on a brilliant warm Sunday lunchtime attracted a fair crowd considering this was a clash of the bottom two Clubs.

Kumyalı settled the better of the two teams and created chances in the opening exchanges of the first half, after only 5 minutes play a Yekta cross from the right was headed inches wide by the Kumyalı Captain Ismail.

The same two players combined well again and it took a brave save by Tatlısu keeper Kurşat diving at the feet of Yekta.

Kumyalı were slowly turning the screw as Tatlısu struggled to get any meaningful attack going.

In a rare breakaway attack Tatlısu had the best chance of the match, when a Talha cross from the right found the unmarked Musa, but the Tatlısu player must have been surprised to be in such a good position with having the goal at his mercy he shot wide from only a few yards out.

Kumyalı continued to look dangerous, Oğuzhan was put through but shot wide and then Tatlısu keeper Kurşat bravely dived at the feet of Ufuk.

Tatlısu were fortunate to go into the break on even terms but they did and were still in the game. HALF TIME SCORE : 0-0.

Straight from the kick off Kumyalı were on the attack with Kurşat parrying a Umut shot which Oğuzcan sent the rebound wide.

Tatlısu counter attacked in the 52nd minute when a great ball from Asil put through Talha on the right, but his shot was brilliantly saved by the Kumyalı keeper Edim.

Right out of the blue in the 63rd minute, Tatlısu scored, they had a 3 on 2 situation but looked like they had squandered the opportunity until Serkan passed to MUSA some 35 yards out who looked up and sent a tremendous shot into the net past a helpless Edim 1-0.

Tatlisu scorer MUSA celebrating (right)

The red mists descended on Tatlısu in the 77th minute when Talha who had already been booked, lost his rag understandably so as he should have been awarded a free kick after being fouled, it wasn’t and in his frustration he committed a needless challenge and was red carded.

In the 84th minute another Tatlısu breakaway ended with Asil sending in a powerful shot just over the bar.

Tatlısu now sensing a win for the first time were defending desperately at times as Kumyalı threw players forward.

In injury time Yekta had a shot brilliantly turned onto the crossbar by Kurşat.

Right at the death a long cross to the far post by Yekta was headed in by UMUT to break Tatlısu’s hearts. FULL TIME SCORE : 1-1.

SUMMING UP : To be honest Tatlısu were lucky to come away with a point, relegation now seems inevitable. Without a Coach and barely having enough players to pick a team from it has been a very tough and traumatic season for Tatlısu. In this match Kurşat in goal, Captain Murat, Musa and Orhan all played well. BARIŞ YILMAZ at the heart of the Tatlısu defence was immense and was their best player. Tatlısu fight on but the hangman’s noose is getting tighter.


Sunday 8th April ko 1-00pm at Tatlısu Raıf Rauf Denktaş Stadı