The ruins of Lambousa, Camelot Beach, Alsancak
A Franco-Levantine born in Zykanthos, John P. Foscolo (1852-1927) came to Cyprus from Smyrna in 1878, at the same time as the British troops took over from the Ottomans, and lived in Limassol up until the end of his life. During this time he took photographs of the island, its people and its new conquerors. Foscolo’s photographic work exemplifies a very high quality, both in terms of technique and creativity. The following photo is from the book ‘J.P. Foscolo’ published by the Cultural Centre Cyprus Popular Bank in 1992.
Below are three photos of the same ruin from 2003, 2005 and 2011.