Words of the week
by Ralph Kratzer
I can remember when I was a little boy my grandmother always had an annual calendar hanging on the wall of her kitchen. Every day was a sheet to tear off and on each of these leaves used to be a wise saying.
I often did not understand the meaning of the saying, but was always fascinated by what thoughts clever adult people had.
Now by chance I have found a collection of such wise sayings and want to publish a selection of them on our website once a week for your entertainment and amusement. Some are funny, some allow us to reflect.
- You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. (Mae West)
- One day you will wake up and there won´t be any more time to do the things you´ve always wanted. Do it now. (Paulo Coelho)
- I live for myself and I answer to nobody. (Steve McQueen)
- We are driven by five genetic needs: survival, love and belonging, power, freedom and fun. (William Glasser)
- It is only to the individual that a soul is given. (Albert Einstein)
- Dream as if you´ll live forever, live as if you´ll die today (James Dean)
- In the end, it´s not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away. (Shing Xiong)
- Hope lies in dreams, in imagination, and in the courage of those who dare to make dreams into reality. (Jonas Salk)
- Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. (Howard Thurman)
- People are as free as they want to be. (James Baldwin)