Esentepe Hearts Broken Again!


By Richard Beale ……

A 95th minute injury time winner from Vakkas Kaynarca gave Merit Alsancak an undeserved winner and not for the first time this season Esentepe were left with nothing to show for their hard work.


Saturday November 24, 2018 : K-Pet Super League : Alsancak Mustafa Hidayet Çağlar Stadium.

After the recent heavy rain the surface was greasy, but luckily there was no underlying water. A good size crowd despite the poor weather were present, with the home support being a friendly lot.

It was noticeable for Esentepe that stopper Zady Moise started the game as a defensive midfield player, with Şahin, Hasan and Mustafa Kiliç (making his first full start) forming the back three.

7th minute : Esentepe Captain Şahin, played a back pass to his goalkeeper Ali, but it was woefully short and Alsancak’s Mustafa Yaşınses nipped in quickly to get a shot in, but the advancing Ali managed to palm away his chip.

Esentepe had settled well, pushing men forward to support striker Odi and they had a chance to take the lead in the 21st minute, when Moise won the ball in midfield, passed to Sane, who switched it left to Kaan whose shot was deflected over for a corner.

Alsancak hit back with a left wing cross from Jean Makoun was narrowly headed wide by Hamis Çakır.

L-R Esentepe Captain Şahin heads the ball away and R, Zady Moise (red), Alsancak’s Ulaş challenge for the ball.

33 mins : With Sane and Moise having some semblance of control in midfield Ahmet Karal whipped in a cross that was met by Kaan at the near post, but his shot was deflected over for a corner.

Esentepe can feel satisfied with their first half efforts, they were slightly the better team with Alsancak’s Ex St Mirren and Dunfermline striker Billy Mehmet being kept quiet by Esentepe’s Hasan. HALF TIME SCORE : 0-0.

Esentepe’s best chance of the match came in the 53rd minute, when Yakup sent Kaan away down the left, the wingers cross was met first time by Sane whose shot looked to be a winner until Alsancak’s International goalkeeper Hasan Piro instinctively put out an arm to deflect the effort over the bar.

Alsancak immediately launched a counter attack when a Yasin cross was met by Mustafa Yaşınses, whose shot just cleared the Esentepe bar.

Esentepe continued to look the better team as they took the game to Alsancak, in the 67th minute Uğurcan did well to win the ball, beat an opponent before sending over a cross that was met by Yakup, just outside the box but his effort went just over.

L-R Esentepe Ahmet Karal in a tussle with Vakkas and Esentepe Man of the Match Uğurcan gets the ball away.

Esentepe would rue those missed chances as Merit Alsancak took the lead in the 74th minute against the run of play.

Once again lady luck was not with Esentepe when following an Alsancak attack the linesman raised his flag for offside, then put it down, in the meantime Esentepe Ahmet Karal headed the ball out for a corner. No offside was given and from that corner taken by Mustafa Yaşınses BURAK KOÇAR hooked the ball in at the far post 1-0.

Point is, if the referee had noticed the linesman’s flag no corner would have been given and no goal allowed!

79th minute Esentepe deservedly equalised when Moises started the move in midfield, finding Sane whose shot hit Alsancak’s left hand post, rebounding back into play where KAAN following up was alert to put the ball in. 1-1.

It looked that Esentepe would come away with a well earned point when with the last kick of 4 minutes of injury time a free kick from Mustafa Yaşınses was not properly cleared by the Esentepe defence, the ball found VAKKAS KAYNARCA at the far post who somehow hooked the ball over goalkeeper Ali’s head and it dropped into the net at the near post. Alsancak players and fans celebrated wildly whereas Esentepe players sunk to their knees in disbelief. FULL TIME SCORE : 2-1


Video highlights of this match courtesy of Graham Procter-Brown