Please note the days and times when open for visiting.
Date : 1st to 16th September 2017 – 11am to 7pm
Location : Vounous Necropolis – Çatalköy – Girne
Topic : Reproduction of Early-Middle and Bronze age Vounous ceramics with the primitive creating and kilning techniques in the ateliers formed in Cyprus Bronze Age Village replica.
Aim : The aim is to reproduce the replicas of the terracotta artefacts of Vounous smuggled to foreign countries and to publicly exhibit in Çatalköy. It is also to promote these artefacts, teach the techniques, to publicize the cultural heritage of Çatalköy by encouraging the production and to help the preservation of our cultural heritage.
Organisation : Çatalköy Municipality
Head of the Project : Rauf Ersenal
Assistant to Head of the Project: Celal Dimililer
Art Consultants: Cumhur Deliceırmak, Şenol Özdevrim
– Experimental ceramic practices;
– Making Vounous ceramics with the primitive techniques;
– Preparation of Vounous clay;
– Giving a form to Vounous clay;
– Drawing the patterns;
– Kilning in wood fire kilns.
– Acknowledgement of the participants about the history of Vounous and the area of Çatalköy;
– Visiting the museums;
– Academical presentations.
– To revitalize and promote the historical culture of Cyprus;
– To enrich and develop the interest on cultural heritage of Cyprus;
– To create opportunity for young researchers to work with experimental archaeology and Professional ceramic artists and to have experience;
– To explore reconstruction and to promote the production of antique ceramic.
Anyone, who has set one’s heart on the cultural heritage of Cyprus and wants this heritage to be protected and handed down to the next generations can attend this symposium. Everyone, who would want to produce ceramics with professional ceramic experts, can attend the workshops within certain programmes. It is free participation.
DATES: (All kinds of work are going to start at 11:00 and will end 19:00. During the kilning process firing can take longer through the night. Therefore the hours can change.)
1 September 2017 Friday : The last check on the symposium area and completing the work on the area.(Closed for visit)
2 September 2017 Saturday : Placing the tools and materials that will be used in the symposium area. (Closed for Visit)
3 September 2017 Sunday: The artists attending the symposium will be placed in the ateliers and starting the production.
4 September 2017 Monday : Opening the symposium area for visit. The visitors can produce by attending the activities. (Open for visit)
5 September 2017 Tuesday: The continuation of production in the ateliers and the first kilning process. (Open for visit)
7 September 2017 Thursday : Official Opening Ceremony (18.30-20.00)
– Exhibition of the first production of artefacts;
– Visiting the ateliers in the village (Vounous Necropolis) and the introduction of the artists and visitors.
– The opening of 2 Open Air Museum replica.
– Dispensation of Vounous souvenirs to the visitors.
– Visitors watching the process of kilning in the kiln that is formed in the middle of the village.
– Sound and light performance in accordance with the historical period and atmosphere.
– Burning the Vounous fire.
8 September 2017 Friday: Continuation of the atelier work. Visitors can attend the production. (Open for visit)
9 September 2017 Saturday: Workshops and kilning. (Open for visit). A safari tour on the Beşparmak Mountains with the artists.
10 September 2017 Sunday: BİZİM GRUP “Vounous Mountain Walk” and continuation for the atelier work. (Open for visit)
11 September 2017 Monday: Continuation of the atelier work. (Visiting Cyprus for the visiting artists)
12 September 2017 Tuesday: Continuation of the atelier work. Visitors attending activities. 20:30 Presentation of Symposium Declarations (Vounous Symposium Area) (Open for visit)
13 September 2017 Wednesday: Atelier work and kilning.
14 September 2017 Thursday: Atelier work and preparations for exhibition. (Open for visit)
15 September 2017 Friday: Closing ceremony and the exhibition of works. Presentation of participation certificates and plaques to the attending artists. (Open for visit)
16 September 2017 Saturday: Visiting the exhibition in the symposium area. To say farewell to the foreign visiting artists. CLOSING CEREMONY. (Open for visit)
(Thanks to Feride Ceyda Erdemli for translation)
To see the programme in both English and Turkish visit Heidi Trautmann’s website by clicking here