Chef´s Choice – Turkish Cuisine – Chicken Stew (Tava)
Chef´s Choice – Turkish Cuisine
Chicken Stew (Tava)
Turkish cuisine varies across the country. The cooking of Istanbul, Bursa, Izmir, and rest of the Aegean region inherits many elements of Ottoman court cuisine, with a lighter use of spices, a preference for rice over bulgur, köftes and a wider availability of vegetable stews (Türlü), eggplant, stuffed dolmas and fish. The cuisine of the Black Sea Region uses fish extensively, especially the Black Sea anchovy (hamsi) and includes maize dishes. The cuisine of the southeast (e.g. Urfa, Gaziantep, and Adana) is famous for its variety of kebabs, mezes and dough-based desserts such as Baklava, Söbiyet, Kadayıf, and Künefe.
- 1 kg chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 350 g roasted red bell peppers (from the glass or can), drained and finely chopped
- 400 g canned diced tomatoes
- 1 small can sliced mushrooms (about 140 g), drained
- 1 fresh green bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium size onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 400g mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced (optional)
Preheat oven to 175° C (160° fan assisted).
Mix the chicken, red peppers, tomatoes (with juice), mushrooms, green pepper, onion and garlic in a thinly oiled casserole dish.
Season with salt and pepper to your taste.
Drizzle with some olive oil and top it with the mozzarella cheese (optional).
Bake the dish in the preheated oven for about 1/2 hour to 40 minutes until cheese is melted.